Fall / Winter 2017-2018
Please check out our Spring 2018 YTT HERE.
"Go from a human doing yoga, to a human being yoga." --Baron Baptiste
We are all already teachers. TRUE U Namaspa 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training places the emphasis on teaching yoga as a way to get powerful in all areas of your life. Whether you want to lead studio classes or deepen your own practice by embodying yoga in your family or workplace, you will learn to authentically express and share of yourself, connect with others and create positive change in the world – skills applicable to any leadership role in or out of a yoga studio.
If you are ready to step up and positively influence people's lives, this training is for the TRUE U!
Co-facilitated by Suzie Newcome & Brandy Berlin
“The thing that helped me the most in this training in particular was the feedback process! I find it incredibly helpful to hear how my teaching could improve in a delivery that’s completely honest and non-judgmental. Surprisingly, I’ve also noticed a huge shift in confidence as a teacher and person in general. I’ve applied my new-found confidence toward everything else in my life.” - Brie, YTT 2013-14
"I am a 63 1/2 year old male with good health, but had somewhat high blood pressure (132/90). I began taking yoga at Namaspa two years ago. Last September I joined the Yoga Teacher Training program doubting that I would be able to keep up with the much younger trainees. I kept up with the trainees for six months of grueling but very fun training and graduated a few weeks ago. At the end of the training, I had my annual physical. The nurse taking my blood pressure looked puzzled as he took my blood pressure and pulse and asked if he could do it again. He did so, and asked if I had problems fainting and being dizzy. I said no. He took my pulse a third time and said "You have a very strong pulse" but he still looked alarmed and rushed out of the room. I began to worry - "Was my body finally giving out?". A few minutes later, my doctor came in and asked what I had been up to. I replied that I just finished a 6-month yoga teacher training and he said "Ah-ha, that's it" and tapped the blood pressure reading on my chart. My blood pressure had dropped to a startling 88/62. My doctor said "We rarely get a 63 year old in here with the blood pressure of an 18 year old" - James, Bend OR, YTT 2014-15
Graduates will be eligible to be 200 Registered Yoga Teachers by Yoga Alliance.
- Learn to design and teach a challenging power vinyasa yoga class in the tradition of Baron Baptiste, as well Gentle Flow, Restorative and Yin Yoga
- Learn basic anatomy and physiology as it applies to specific yoga poses and common injuries
- Learn the breakdown, alignment, modifications, and sequencing of postures
- Learn how to assist, evaluate bodies physically, emotionally and prevent injuries
- Learn Ujayii and other Pranayama breathing techniques to incorporate into your class
- Participate in Practice-teaching sessions, intimate study groups, observing and assisting classes
- Learn yoga philosophy that will guide you in your daily life
- Learn Yoga’s roots or beginnings and compare/contrast Eastern and Western practices
- Learn the lifestyles and ethics for yoga teachers
- Learn effective presentation and communication skills to teach to different levels of health and ability
- Learn the business of yoga and how to run your own studio
- Techniques ~ 100 hours
- Teaching Methodology ~ 25 hours
- Anatomy and Physiology ~ 20 hours
- Philosophy/Ethics/Lifestyle ~ 30 hours
- Practicum ~ 25 hours
- Homework and Exams ~5 hours
- Pre-requisite: 6 months minimum practice at Namaspa Power Yoga, or Completed Level 1 Teacher Training from Baron Baptiste, or permission from Suzie Newcome
- 100% attendance to all scheduled classes (make up sessions may be scheduled with Suzie at $65 per hour)
- 100% participation in all sessions and completion of course assignments
- Teach in 20 Community Classes – Tuesday/Thursday 4pm, Sunday 5:30pm (makeup times available for commuters)
- Attend 40 regularly scheduled classes at Namaspa (50% discount on all yoga passes and memberships to YTT students)
- Pass the final exam with a 70% or higher score
Required Reading- Please purchase these books prior to the program:
- Journey Into Power, by Baron Baptiste
- 40 Days to Your Personal Revolution, by Baron Baptiste
- Being of Power, by Baron Baptiste
- Anatomy and Asana, Preventing Yoga Injuries by Susi Hately Aldous
- Yoga Sutras (any translation you prefer)
- Wisdom of Yoga, by Stephen Cope (includes a translation of the yoga sutras in the back)
- Bhagavad Gita (any translation you prefer)
- Wheels of Life: A User’s Guide to the Chakra System by Anodea Judith
- Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat by Richard Faulds
- $300 non-refundable application deposit due at the time your application is submitted. This deposit will be applied towards your tuition once the program begins.
- $200 discount if tuition is paid in full by August 1, 2017
- Payment plan available and will incur a $30 charge for each payment made.
*No refunds on tuition once program has started.